My practice is focused on commercial and investment arbitration. I act as counsel before arbitral tribunals and in Swedish courts. I also represent clients in proceedings related to annulment, recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign judgements.
Receiving an appointment as arbitrator is always an honour. I have been appointed by SCC Arbitration Institute, the Arbitration Institute of the Finland Chamber of Commerce and ICC International Court of Arbitration as well as by co-arbitrators in ad hoc proceedings. I have served as chair, sole and party-appointed arbitrator.
Prior to founding Westerberg, I was a partner at another major Swedish law firm. Before joining the firm’s dispute resolution practice, I worked with mergers and acquisitions advising on corporate and contract law. In terms of industry knowledge, I particularly enjoy working on disputes related to telecom and IT. My interest in this field is a legacy of the seven years I spent as sales representative and project manager at Ericsson, the Swedish telecom giant, in Latvia and in Sweden.
I currently serve as a board member of the SCC Arbitration Institute and Swedish Arbitration Association. I have served on the board of the Swedish Women in Arbitration Network. I am member of the Swedish Bar Association and the International Bar Associations Arbitration Committee’s Task Force on Privilege as well as the Policy Commission for Trade and Investment at ICC Sweden.
Recent recognition includes:
Ranked in Chambers & Partners since 2021 “following impressive market recognition” with clients saying: “She is a very brave advocate and a good strategist”, “She is good, really smart and to the point” and “Ahrel is an effective manager and lawyer who has the tools to make good decisions in a variety of situations.”
Clients comment “Ginta Ahrel is a very sharp and experienced lawyer, providing practical advice that gives value for the client” and “Ginta Ahrel has always been ready – witted, proficient in multiple languages, open-minded and thoughtful.” (Legal 500 2023)”
Recognized as Future Leader in Arbitration by Global Arbitration Review and Who’s Who Legal annually since 2017 and recommended as National Leader in Arbitration since 2020 with sources saying that Ginta Ahrel is “skilled and effective”, “a real tactician”, and an “experienced counsel and arbitrator in cases involving parties from Russia, and CIS and Baltic countries”. She is also singled out as “the go-to person for Russian-related disputes”.
“Ginta Ahrel speaks English, Swedish and Russian and that makes our communication easier in a multicultural environment. She is also very expedient in understanding the essence of post-Soviet laws.” – Client testimonial for Legal 500, 2021.
“Ginta Ahrel is a very pragmatic and serious professional, with extraordinary technical capabilities, along with exceptional communication skills that provide confidence and relief to her clients.” – Client testimonial for Legal 500, 2020.
Notable representations include acting for:
- Moldovan investors in set-aside proceedings as well as enforcement of an investment arbitration award worth USD 500 million against the Republic of Kazakhstan and the National Bank of Kazakhstan (the “Ascom Case”);
- a major Chinese corporation against a major Russian steel producing plant before the Svea Court of Appeal regarding setting aside of an arbitral award;
- a Latvian construction company against a Swedish construction company before an ad hoc arbitral tribunal seated in Stockholm;
- an investor against a Central European state in proceedings before the Svea Court of Appeal regarding annulment of investment arbitration award;
- a major Russian natural resources company against the Republic of Lithuania in set-aside proceedings successfully defending the arbitral award before the Svea Court of Appeal;
Latest speaking engagements and publications
- “Highlights of the past year in international arbitration”, moderator at the seminar organized by the Swedish Arbitration Association and SCC Arbitration Institute, Stockholm, September 2023
- “Annulment of arbitral awards in the Nordics”, speaker at BAHR and Wikborg Rein’s arbitration seminar, Oslo, September 2023
- “International Arbitration of Tomorrow: Meeting the Demands of An Evolving World”, speaker at the Conference celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the Stockholm University International Commercial Arbitration Law Programme, Stockholm, August 2023
- “Receiving and handling your first arbitrator appointment”, speaker at the networking breakfast organized by Swedish Women in Arbitration Network, Stockholm, August 2023
- “Stakeholders’ Perspectives on SCC Innovations in Dispute Resolution”, speaker at the Bucharest Arbitration Days 2023, Bucharest June 2023
- “Wet ink signature required for Swedish arbitral awards (Svea Court of Appeal)” case report co-authored with Mathilda Walhgren, published by Practical Law Arbitration, April 2023
- “Practical aspects of enforcement against states”, panelist at seminar on Sovereign Immunity from Execution co-organised by DER Juridik, Westerberg & Partners and Uppsala University, Stockholm, April 2023
- “The Rules and General Principles in Arbitration”, lecturer at the training program organized by Young Arbitrators Sweden, Stockholm, March 2023
- “Third Party Interventions in International Arbitration”, a keynote speaker at seminar organized by Clyde & Co during the Hamburg International Arbitration Day, Hamburg, March 2023
- “Swedish Fika and Arbitration – a seminar on the current state of Latvian and Swedish arbitration law and practice”, moderator, organized by Swedish Arbitration Association and Riga Graduate School of Law, Riga, February 2023
- “Swedish Court sets aside arbitration award due to the tribunal exceeding its mandate (Landbyska v The Grand Group)” case report co-authored with Mathilda Walhgren, published by LexisNexis, February 2023
- “Cloud Disputes” speaker in the panel titled “New Frontiers: The Subject Matters of the Disputes of Tomorrow“ at the XXVth Congress of the International Counsel for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA), Edinburgh, September 2022
- “Challenge grounds for arbitral award”, lecturer at the Diploma Course for International Arbitrators organized by the SCC Arbitration Institute and by the Swedish Arbitration Association, June 2022
- “Swedish Supreme Court Weighs in on Immunity of Sovereign Wealth Fund Assets Under Central Bank Management”, article co-authored with Dr. Maria Fogdestam Agius, published on Kluwer Arbitration Blog, March 2022
- “Non-signatories in arbitration”, lecturer at the Arbitrator Training Program organized by Swedish Arbitration Association, February 2022
- “Statute of limitations”, speaker at the Swedish Law Day in Russia organized by Swedish Arbitration Association, December 2021
- “Correction, Interpretation and Additional Awards”, panelist in the webinar organized by Italian Forum for Arbitration and ADR (ARBIT), November 2021
- Young Arbitrators Sweden webinar on SCC Rules: “Efficiency vs Legal Certainty”, speaker, November 2021
- SCC East-West Forum: “Focus on Arbitration in Poland and the Baltic States”, panelist in the on-line seminar, September 2021
- “Conflicts of interest and obligation to disclose in the light of Halliburton v Chubb case”, organized by Swedish Women in Arbitration Network and Stockholm Centre for Commercial Law, Arbitration department, moderator, Stockholm, September 2021
- “Arbitration in the region from practitioner’s perspective with practitioners from Ukraine, Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Georgia”, moderator of an on-line seminar during the 2021 Inaugural SCC East-West Forum, Stockholm, April 2021
- “The secretary in the arbitral proceedings”, moderator of an on-line seminar co-organised by Swedish Women in Arbitration Network and Young Arbitrators Sweden, Stockholm, September 2020
- “Swedish Court Raises the Bar for Set Aside Cases”, article (in English and Russian) published by International Commercial Arbitration Review (Вестник Международного Коммерческого Арбитража), No. 1(18)2019, p. 306
- “Procedure before the Arbitral Tribunal”, guest lecturer at ELSA Winter School on International Arbitration at the University of Uppsala, January 2020
- “SCC investment arbitration practice and procedure”, Training on Investment Dispute Resolution at the Energy Charter Secretariat, Brussels, November 2019
- “What are the qualities of a good litigator?”, panelist at Young Arbitrators Sweden annual conference, Stockholm, October 2019
- “Third party financing of disputes in Sweden”, moderator of the seminar co-organised by Swedish Women in Arbitration Network and Swedish Arbitration Association, Stockholm, October 2019
- “The Court of Appeal rises the bar for set-aside cases”, article (in Swedish) published by Karnov Nyheter on 26 September 2019
- “Arbitration in Stockholm: an Update on the Swedish Arbitration Reform”, panelist at the joint seminar organized by SCC Arbitration Institute, Ukrainian Arbitration Association and the Embassy of Sweden, Kiev, May 2019
- “Are hearings too short?”, panelist at Global Arbitration Review: Live in Stockholm, May 2019
- “Swedish Approach to Challenge and Enforcement of Awards”, guest lecturer at Stockholm University International Commercial Dispute Resolution course, May 2019
- “Annulment and enforcement of arbitral awards against States: recent developments and new trends”, speaker at the seminar organized by Winston & Strawn LLP during Paris Arbitration Week, Paris, April 2019