My practice is focused on commercial and investment arbitration. I act as counsel before arbitral tribunals and in Swedish courts. I also represent clients in the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign judgements. Receiving an appointment as arbitrator is always an honour. I have been appointed by SCC, FAI and ICC as well as by co-arbitrators in ad hoc proceedings and have served as sole, chair and party-appointed arbitrator.
Prior to founding Westerberg, I was a partner at another major Swedish law firm. Before joining the firm’s dispute resolution practice, I worked with mergers and acquisitions advising on corporate and contract law. In terms of industry knowledge, I particularly enjoy working on disputes in the telecom, IT and data protection areas. My interest in this field is a legacy of the seven years I spent as sales representative and project manager at Ericsson, the Swedish telecom giant.
The majority of the cases, in which I have acted as counsel or served as arbitrator, are related to Russia, CIS or Baltic countries. That is because, besides Swedish and English, I am fully proficient in Russian, while my native language is Latvian. I head Westerberg’s East European Group which, in its size and experience, is unrivaled on the Swedish legal market. We offer advice and conduct proceedings in Russian and English.
I currently serve as board member of the Swedish Women in Arbitration Network, and I am member of the Swedish Bar Association, Swedish Arbitration Association, Young Arbitrators Sweden and the London Court of International Arbitration and the Policy Commission for Digital Economy at ICC Sweden.
Rankings and testimonials
Recognized as Future Leader in Arbitration by Global Arbitration Review’s sister publication Who's Who Legal annually since 2017 and recommended as National Leader in Arbitration 2020 saying that Ginta Ahrel is “up and coming” and “a rising star” in the Swedish arbitration market. Sources single her out as “the go-to person for Russian-related disputes”.
“Ginta Ahrel is a very pragmatic and serious professional, with extraordinary technical capabilities, along with exceptional communication skills that provide confidence and relief to
her clients.” – Client testimonial for Legal500, 2020.
Notable representations include acting for:
• Moldovan investors in set-aside proceedings and enforcement proceedings of the arbitral award worth USD 500 million against the Republic of Kazakhstan;
• a major Russian natural resources company against the Republic of Lithuania in annulment proceedings defending an arbitral award rendered under SCC rules before the Svea Court of Appeal;
• a Spanish corporation in its successful claims against two Russian companies acting in the oil sector in arbitration seated in Stockholm under SCC rules;
• the Russian regions in arbitration proceedings against a French multinational oil and gas company under the UNCITRAL rules in Stockholm as well as in associated court proceedings in Sweden;
• a leading Russian mining company against a Czech company in arbitration related to a purchase of equipment and services agreement under the SCC rules in Stockholm (in Russian);
• the Federal Customs Service and the Government of the Russian Federation against a Moldovan company in arbitration under the ICC rules in Stockholm as well as in related annulment proceedings before the Svea Court of Appeal;
• a Chinese company in its successful defence against a major European communications company in arbitration under the ICC rules seated in Stockholm as well as before the Swedish courts in proceedings related to document production.
Latest speaking engagements and publications
• “The secretary in the arbitral proceedings”, moderator of an on-line seminar co-organised by
Swedish Women in Arbitration Network and Young Arbitrators Sweden, Stockholm, September 2020;
• “Swedish Court Raises the Bar for Set Aside Cases”, article (in English and Russian) published by
International Commercial Arbitration Review (Вестник Международного Коммерческого
Арбитража), No. 1(18)2019, p. 306;
• “Procedure before the Arbitral Tribunal”, guest lecturer at ELSA Winter School on International
Arbitration at the University of Uppsala, January 2020;
• “SCC investment arbitration practice and procedure”, Training on Investment Dispute Resolution at
the Energy Charter Secretariat, Brussels, November 2019;
• “What are the qualities of a good litigator?”, panelist at Young Arbitrators Sweden annual conference,
Stockholm, October 2019;
• “Third party financing of disputes in Sweden”, moderator of the seminar co-organised by Swedish
Women in Arbitration Network and Swedish Arbitration Association, Stockholm, October 2019;
• “The Court of Appeal rises the bar for set-aside cases”, article (in Swedish) published by Karnov
Nyheter on 26 September 2019;
• “Arbitration in Stockholm: an Update on the Swedish Arbitration Reform”, joint seminar
organized by SCC, Ukrainian Arbitration Association and Swedish Embassy, Kiev,
• “Are hearings too short?”, panel at Global Arbitration Review: Live in Stockholm,
• “Swedish Approach to Challenge and Enforcement of Awards”, guest lecturer at Stockholm
University International Commercial Dispute Resolution course, May 2019;
• “Annulment and enforcement of arbitral awards against States: recent developments and
new trends” organized by Winston & Strawn LLP during Paris Arbitration Week, Paris,
• “Emergency proceedings in investment arbitration”, BCDR-AAA/SCC Joint Conference on Salient Issues in Investment Arbitration, Manama, November 2018 (speaker);
• “SCC investment arbitration practice and procedure”, Training on Investment Dispute Resolution at the Energy Charter Secretariat, Brussels, November 2018 (speaker);
• “International Commercial Arbitration: Textbook” (in Russian), 2nd edition, 2018, authoring the chapter on arbitration in Sweden.
• “How to write an arbitral award”, panel at Global Arbitration Review: Live in Stockholm, May 2018 (speaker);